Where to Play
How to choose a club:
There are a wide variety of places to play for every age, skill or ability in Manitoba, however this wide variety can also make it overwhelming and difficult to choose where to play. We recommend trying various different clubs/groups and seeing which one you like best. There are many different factors that we have tried to break down to make life easier for you. Cost is an important factor for many, luckily there are a lot of affordable places to play recreationally in the city (consult our guide below for rough cost levels). Level of play is another important factor, as playing with people at your level is often the most enjoyable for everyone (see the guide below). Lastly, if you are looking for lessons regardless of age or skill level, we have also broken that down below.
Recreational/beginner: These programs are great for beginner players and those who are looking to have fun!
Weekly lessons: Developmental Winter Programs (Offered from October to March), Prairie Badminton (Offered all year round), Winnipeg Winter Club (Offered all year round, membership required), Rady Jewish Community Centre (Offered all year round).
Summer camps: MBA Summer Camps, Winnipeg Winter Club (You do not need to be a Winter Club member for these camps) Prairie Badminton Camps.
Casual Play/drop-in: Some clubs are open to adults and children alike, please see below under adult casual play.
Competitive: These players still wish to have fun, but are also taking it more seriously and want to improve. There are levels ranging from intermediate (just beginning competition) all the way to elite (nationally competitive players).
Weekly lessons: Identified Player Program - intermediate/advanced level (players must be invited by the provincial coach, or if confident that your child qualifies, please contact [email protected]), Winnipeg Winter Club - offers intermediate to elite lessons. The Rady JCC offers intermediate to advanced lessons.
Camps*: Prairie Badminton Invitational Camps (players must be assessed or invited by a Prairie Badminton coach before being allowed to join the camps),
Drop-in: See adult casual play/drop-in below.
*Now that competitive camps are offered by several badminton clubs, the Identified Player Program summer camps are no longer being held.
Private lessons: Private lessons can be taken by anyone regardless of age or skill level. They are more expensive than lessons, but the one-on-one time spent with a coach can take a players game to the next level. There are also options to do semi-private lessons (two players and one coach - recommended especially for doubles pairs!)
Winnipeg Winter Club - athletes can work with Seniors and Masters National Champion Elliot Beals (must be a member to take private lessons).
Rady JCC - athletes can work with former Canada Winter Games alumni Dan Savard.
Recreational/beginner: It's never too late to start badminton/get better!
Weekly lessons: Winnipeg Winter Club (must be a member), Rady JCC , Community Badminton Club (lessons are usually offered weekly, check their facebook page for updates).
Casual Play/drop-in: The Winnipeg Winter Club is the only one to offer unlimited drop-in for members at a fixed cost. Most of the other clubs listed below offer fixed playing times if you are a member. Memberships range from very affordable (local community centres for example) to more expensive at facilities such as the Rady JCC and the Reh-fit centre as you also get the additional benefits that their facilities have to offer.
Weekly lessons: Prairie Badminton, Winnipeg Winter Club (must be a member), Rady JCC.
Locations of clubs:
Find a club near you! The list of clubs is not exhaustive and only includes MBA-sanctioned clubs. Please email [email protected] if you would like to become MBA sanctioned/be included in this list.
Notes: $=less than one $100, $$ = over $100 but under $500, $$$ = between $500 and $1000, $$$$ = over $1000 but under $2000, $$$$$ = over $2000.
Costs do not necessarily include lesson prices.
Click here for a link to an interactive google maps page.
- Winnipeg Winter Club offers 7 day unlimited drop-in at a fixed price (+ additional facilities such as a pool, gym, steam room, squash and tennis courts etc. if you are a member). Level of play: Beginner to elite. Cost: $$$$-$$$$$ (there are reduced costs for youth members taking lessons, ask about the CAMP membership).
- Prairie Badminton is Winnipeg's only dedicated badminton facility and offers drop-in play 7 days a week for all skill levels (either book online under court booking or phone Prairie Badminton directly). Table tennis and pickleball are also available. Level of play: Beginner to elite. Cost: $-$$$$$ (depends on how often you play)
- East Kildonan Badminton Club offers badminton on Monday and Thursday nights for adults ages 18+. Level of play: Beginner to intermediate.
- Transcona Badminton Club offers badminton on Monday nights and runs from October to May. Level of play: Beginner to intermediate. Cost: $
- 17 Wing badminton club is one of the most popular clubs in the city and offers badminton three days a week. Mondays are drop-ins and Wednesday Sunday are for members only (membership is very affordable but is based on a first come first serve basis). Level of play: Beginner to advanced. Cost: $-$$
- Rady JCC offers over 10 hours of adult recreational play and court time on weekends for members (+ additional facilities such as a salt pool, gym, steam room and more if you are a member). Level of play: Beginner to advanced. Cost: $$-$$$$$ (most memberships are under $1000)
- Greendell Badminton Club/Early Morning All-stars Badminton Club (for ages 55+)/Southeast Winnipeg Badminton Group. Three different programs are run out of the Greendell community centre and two are designated for ages 55+ play. The group plays for fun. Level of play: Beginner to Intermediate.
- Community Badminton Club offers $5 drop in on Sundays and Mondays and free lessons to those who want it. Level of play: Beginner to Intermediate. Cost: $
Click here for a link to an interactive google maps page.
- St Pierre Badminton Club (Beyond the Perimeter Badminton) plays recreationally on Wednesdays in St. Pierre-Jolys, and offers lessons and open training on Thursdays. Level of play: Beginner to Advanced. Group lessons available. Private lessons upon request.
- St. Adolphe Badminton Club plays on Tuesdays and Fridays and offers play for adults and kids alike. There are lessons offered as well. Drop in is $5. Level of play: Beginner to Intermediate.
- Niverville Badminton Club (Beyond the Perimeter Badminton) plays recreationally on Monday evenings, with group lessons from 5:30-7:30pm. Level of play: Beginner to Advanced. Private lessons upon request.
- Dauphin Badminton Club plays recreationally on Thursdays and welcomes all ages. Level of play: Beginner to Intermediate.
- Brandon Badminton Club plays Wednesdays and Sundays on 6 courts at the Brandon University. Ages 10+ Level of play: Beginner to advanced.
- Mr. Brad's Badminton Dojo plays Tuesdays and Fridays and is based out of Brandon. Level of play: Beginner to intermediate.
- Club de Badminton Notre Dame plays out of Notre Dame de Lourdes and offers play for adults on Tuesdays and for ages 12-18 on Fridays. Level of play: Beginner to intermediate.
- Lac du Bonnet Badminton Club is open for play on Tuesdays and Thursdays and offers lessons for beginners and competitive youth as well as recreational play for adults. Marj Niemi is the head coach at the club. Level of play: Beginner to advanced.
- Pinawa Badminton Club runs from October to April and plays Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. All ages are welcome. Level of play: Beginner to intermediate.
- Interlake Badminton Club plays Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays in Stonewall. Lessons are offered by Dale Kinley, who is also a coach at Prairie Badminton. Level of play: Beginner to advanced/elite.
- Kenora Badminton Club is not technically a part of Manitoba, but it is still close enough that it might as well be! They play on Mondays. Level of play: Beginner to elite.
- Sioux Lookout Badminton Club is also in Western Ontario. They play Mondays and Thursdays and offer lessons as well. Reach them on facebook Level of play: Beginner to intermediate.